Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Love

As defined by Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

1 a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests
b : an assurance of love
2 : warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion
3 a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another:

so, I have to ask, is that the definition of love?
I mean, I know it is in the dictionary, but is possible that we could have our definition of 'love'?
is it wrong that what I believe 'love' is for me could be different for another?

I suppose it's like anything else, we interpret things with out mind, our heart and soul and it may be different that what others see it as.
kind of like asking someone if a glass that is half filled with water, is it half full or half empty?
well, it's both. So two different views can mean the same thing.

my friend Tracie, she loves another that won't love her and I love her knowing she won't love me. She says she can understand HOW I can do that. But the thing is, she can't, because she's not me.
just like I have no clue how she could love him.

I don't see how she could.
she says she is still attracted to him and she likes that he is still to her. She broke up with him, why would he stop being attracted to her?
but what could she be in love with?
she says she knows he won't change who he is and honestly no one will unless they want to.
he has no respect for her or for love.
he says he won't love her. He has openly admitted to lying to her.
and yet she still loves him and wants to be his friend and probably more.
she says he has good qualities, but should anyone have to deal with the bad just to love?
and why would you want someone as a friend that you know for a fact lies to you?

see, I don't understand any of that and I would never tell her I understand her feelings toward him because I feel like that towards her, because I don't.

I love Tracie.
I love her as a friend and as more than that.
I told her that I loved her always as a friend but that I wasn't 'totally in love with her'. For this I got a verbal lashing saying that I can't ask her things and say things to her if I didn't love her that way. what way?
first thing I thought, was "who the hell is she to tell me HOW I should love?!"
my ideas of love, the love that fills my heart is very complex, as I'm sure it is for everyone.

my love isn't in the dictionary.
my love is MINE to give or not.
my love is NEVER the same every time.
every time love comes, it feels incredible.
every time it goes, it hurts like hell.
but in time, love returns and as it has changed, it also stays the same as it is always mine.

I know what it is, not so much what is missing. But partly what is missing.
of course Tracie would say that what the part of love that is missing, is that I want her to love me. But that isn't it. I know what it is, most of the time. From time to time I forget and when I feel it again it has changed again.

so, how can I love her, full knowing that she probably won't feel that way about me.
honestly? Because she is a good friend. She is one that is willing to listen, she is one that I know would never do anything to disrespect me, I know that she would never lie to me or do anything on purpose to hurt me.
even when I feel like I have, like she is holding something back, I still believe she won't hurt me. Of course if she does, then I will be the fool.

if that was to happen, would I still be her friend? Could I still?
it would take time for me, but I still would be her friend. Granted I will say, we would never be so close again as I'd be too afraid to be hurt again.

but part of me believes that will never happen (granted I'm still a skeptic, I may change my mind on that). Tracie is my friend. And I love her.
my love is different that that she has for her x-boyfriend, but then Tracie and I are very different.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your posts all the time and I some times wonder what is going through your head. One day you will find a lady that loves you and really wants to be with you and return all the love that you want to give but when she reads all these posts (if she hasnt already) She will be confused. I am a female and I read these and I am confused. You say you love this friend of yours but she will not return the love back. The way I see it is she loves you as a friend and that is all it has ever been and all it ever will be. She loves another man. Granted he may not treat her the way you did or the way you think she should be treated but she loves him. Why people love one another is strange. No one can ever make sence of it and no one ever will. Just like a woman can tell you that she loves her husband even tho he beats the hell out of her all the time but she loves him. You love a woman that cant love you the way you want her to or the way she loves this other man. Some would say that the lady that loves her husband that beats her is totally crazy well if people read your blogs and really pay attention to your words then they would say that you was crazy. People are strange creatures. No one understands the way another feels or can they ever know what is going on with them the only thing they can do is try to sympathize and try to understand a little bit of it, but they will never know just what the other is feeling.
It is strange the way we are but yet we are simple people. You want love. You want this lady to love you the way you love her but you cant get that in return. So you are mad, hurt and crushed. You let your heart open up to feel and got hurt in return. You still hold onto the fact that maybe just maybe she will read all these and understand you a little better and then maybe give the love a chance with you. Well let me tell you some thing. It wont happen that way. and if it does then it will be a mistake. With what I have read (and I dont know the whole story) but from what you have said then if it was ment to be then she would have known it and would be with you right now. She isnt and you cant accept the fact that you love some one that loves some one else. It is life and no one has ever said that life was easy or fair. I know I have been in your situation before and I have been hurt. So I know what it is like to be where you are right now. The only thing that you can do is pick up the pieces of your broken heart and move on. Hold onto the fact that you are frinds but move on with your life dont give her the satisifaction of knowing that you are there witing in the wings. You will find a good woman that loves you for who you are and I mean really love you but when she finds out that you feel the way you do about this lady then you will scare her off. She will think that at any moment you will leave her for this lady that you are in love with now. I understand that you write to get things off your mind and out of your heart but please move on, let it go. enjoy life, as hard as it might seem right now there is a lady that will give you all the love you want and deserve just be patient nad it will happen just dont let this lady friend of yours now destroy you, and in my opinion that is what is happening right now. You are so madly in love with her and she is keeping you on the side just in case things dont work out with her ole man. Then she knows that you will be there waiting for her and wanting her. Then when the one llady comes along that truely loves you then you will let her pass you by and there goes your chance for happiness. Do you understand what I am saying to you?
No I do not know you from Adam but I read your blogs all the time and try to make sence of all it. You sound like a man with a good heart and just want some one to love you and enjoy life with. Hang in there it will happen. You see I can tell you all this because I was exactaly where you are once. But the thing is when the man came along that really loved me, but I was to stupid to see. I let it pass me by and then it was to late. The one man that really loved me passed away in an accident and I can never get that back again. Dont let that happen to you. This lady does not love you accept that and move on do not hang on and hope that some day she will. Do not let the some one come along and walk away from you because you are still hung up on your friend. I know I have said a lot and I can probably keep going on and on but I will end this right now. If you have any questions or wabt to tell me how much of a B*$#@ I am for saying what I have then hey please feel free to write me. Trust me I have heard it all and I have been called worse in the 40 some odd years I have been on this earth. I am not saying I am the wisest but I have been there before. Take care of yourself and get a grip of your life and of your heart.
guinevere_63@hotmail.com

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home